In the late 19th century, The Toronto Lithographing Co. Limited was known as Canada’s largest and most advanced litho company. It was active from 1878 until 1909, when the company changed its name to Stone Ltd., after the president, William Stone. The company moved to its premises in Toronto to 461 King West, at the corner of Bathurst & King Streets, around 1899, (with premises spanning 450—467 King Street West by 1903).

The company printed a variety of books, maps, posters, and other material, and began printing postcards about 1898. Toronto Litho's leading Toronto rival was Rolph, Smith and Co., which merged with Stone Ltd. to form Rolph-Clark-Stone in 1917.

According to the Canadian Encyclopedia, “Prominent Toronto Litho Co employees included W.D. Blatchly, Henri Julien, J.D. Kelly, C.W. Jeffreys and William Bengough—younger brother of the brilliant political caricaturist J.W. Bengough—who founded the satirical periodical Grip in 1872.” Several of the Grip’s staff later went on to form the Group of Seven.

Some of the collections of Toronto Litho Co.’s cards are shown below.